No doubt in it, that Gmail is most widely-used free email service. But, because of Gmail’s simple user interface. Many users don’t aware about some useful features of it. For example – Gmail distribution list. Still many users type all E-mail of recipients manually. Instead of creating a group of email. A distribution list helps to send email to a particular group at once. Rather than typing or selecting every recipient’s email address.
For example – you can create a personal distribution list of your family member. And, can give “family” name to that distribution list. And, next time when you will compose a mail. You just have to select list address in the recipient’s field.
In the new Gmail, it’s quite easy to create Gmail mailing list. Though, Gmail has some limitations. You can send email up-to 500 recipients through the Gmail SMTP server. Message size is also limited up-to 25 MB, including message’s text and the encoded attachment. But, it is sufficient to cover the need for a small business or company. Even, some other mail services include these basic features in premium service. But, In Gmail, it’s completely free.
I think you now interested in knowing about a way to create Gmail distribution list. So, without any further delay, let’s start this guide.
Gmail distribution list.
Note: If you’re Android or iOS user. Scroll down to find out how to do the same in the smartphone.
. First, Login to your Gmail account in the web browser. Click on the Apps icon, which appears near the left side of the bell icon.
. Here you will able to see all Google Apps. Click on “Contacts”. And, a new tab will get open.
. Now, Google Contacts Window will show you all saved contacts. With email ID and phone number.
- To create Email group in Gmail, you have to make sure, everyone’s Email ID is saved. That you can find out by checking Email column.
- If you want to add someone contact, in Gmail group. And, if his Email ID is missing. Then, first click on “Edit Contact” icon and then enter his Email address.
. Now, to create a Gmail distribution list, you have to create a label. From the left pane, click on “create label” option.
- Now, A small Window will appear on the same page. Enter the group or list name, and click on the OK. For example, I am creating a family group. That’s why I am typing “Family”, as list label.
. Now, From Contacts and Other Contacts section. Mark recipient’s names. (By clicking on their profile icon. )
Note: If the recipient’s phone number isn’t saved with the Email. Then, his name will appear in “other contacts” section.
. After marking all recipients names. Click on the, manage labels icon.
. Now, select created label by you, and then click on Apply.
All selected recipients name now get added inside the created label. You can delete anyone from the Gmail distribution list by going into the created label. But to add someone you need to access contacts and other contacts section.
Compose an Email using Gmail Mailing List.
1. Open Gmail in Web browser again. Click on Compose Option.
2. Now, just type the created label name in “To:” field. And, you will get an option to select the created list of Email ID.
As you know, I have created a Family Group in Gmail. So, when I enter ‘family’ keyword in the recipient’s field. Automatically, Gmail does provide an option to select that list. So, that’s how you can create an Email group in Gmail. And, can add multiple Email ID at once in recipients field. That will help you to send an Email to a Group of People.
For Android users.
In Android Gmail App you can’t create Gmail distribution list. You have to download Contacts App from play store or App store.
1. Open the Contacts App.
2. Tap on hamburger button icon to open the menu.
3. Now, tap on “create label” option. Enter label name and then click on OK.
4. You will now get “Add a contact” option, tap on it.
5. Your contact list will now get open. Hold and select as many contacts that you want to add in your mailing list.
6. After selecting contacts, tap on check mark (✓) option to add contacts in the mailing list.
That’s it. you have successfully created a mailing list in Gmail. Though, Gmail Android App does not allow to add distribution list while composing an Email. For that, you need to open Gmail in Android’s Chrome Browser. Also, don’t forget to select “desktop site” mode.