Are You facing “com.android.phone has stopped” error in Android device?. Then you don’t need to worry about it because this error can occur due to multiple reasons. And, multiple solutions available to fix this error. Each new update of Android comes with, new features and new user interface. And if you’re updating or installing the beta version of Android, then you will face some error. Even, Apple’s new iOS update has certain issues, it is making Apple devices slower. Recently, I got Android update for my OnePlus 5 device. But after upgrading the device from Nougat to Oreo, I started facing few errors.
Errors that I got after updating the device.
- com.android.phone has stopped. (Error that you’re getting on your Android device.)
- com.android.camera has stopped. (When I tried to open Camera App.)
- com.android.settings has stopped.
If you haven’t updated your smartphone recently, then you’re getting this error due to another reason. Maybe you have installed an app recently, which is trying to stop “com.android.phone” process. Whatever is the reason, In this article, I am going to provide few solutions to get rid of from “com android phone stopped working” error.
- 1 Fix com.android.phone has stopped.
- 1.1 Solution: 1 Clear Cache and Data of Phone App.
- 1.2 Solution: 2 Fix SIM Tool Kit (STK).
- 1.3 Solution: 3 Reset Network Settings.
- 1.4 Solution: 4 Install new Custom ROM.
- 1.5 Solution: 5 Uninstall themes & third party Apps.
- 1.6 Solution: 6 Wipe Cache Partition from Stock Recovery.
- 1.7 Solution: 7 Factory data reset.
- 1.8 Conclusion – com.android.phone has stopped.
Fix com.android.phone has stopped.
Solution: 1 Clear Cache and Data of Phone App.
This is the most common solution, which every tech forum and blog, will suggest you. “Com.android.phone” is the package name of Phone App. And when you update your smartphone, phone app also get updated.
It is a system app, so it tries to run in the background, after starting the Android device. If phone app isn’t properly installed or app has the bug then “process com.android.phone has stopped” error occur. And, whenever you try to open phone app, you will face the same error. Personally, I solved this error by following these steps. –
Step: 1 First, Open Settings App, If you’re getting “com.android.settings stopped” error then, restart your device once.
Step: 2 In smartphone settings, go to Apps > Application List. (You”ll get list of all Installed App)
Step: 3 Now, look for the Phone App > Tap on it > Force Stop App.
– After that, tap on Storage > Clear Cache.
There are two Phone Apps, that you can see in the application list. One that is available in the normal application list, and another one you can see in system apps application list. I suggest you to, clear cache of both App, to fix the error permanently.
– To see another Phone App (Which is system App) – Tap on three dots (from the upper right corner) and then tap on “show system apps”.
– If the clear cache doesn’t resolve your problem, then from the same settings, clear data of the App.
Note: Clear phone App data option will delete all data includes files, settings, account, and database of the App.
After clearing app data now, restart your smartphone once. And, now you will not get “com android phone has stopped” Error.
Solution: 2 Fix SIM Tool Kit (STK).
SIM Tool Kit or STK is a standard of GSM system, that enables SIM, to initiate actions. In other words, It enables the SIM interactive exchange, between the network application and network. So, “com.android.phone has stopped” error can occur due to some SIM Tool Kit issues. And if the problem is with SIM Tool Kit app, then follow these steps.
Step: 1 First turn off the smartphone, And then re-insert SIM card properly.
Step: 2 Now, turn on smartphone and then go to settings > Apps > Application List. In Application List, look for SIM Tool Kit, Tap on it and then tap on storage
Step: 3 You will get two options now, First, clear cache of the App then Clear data.
After clearing all data of SIM Tool Kit App, restart your device once to make changes.
Solution: 3 Reset Network Settings.
It could be possible that phone app stopped working due to SIM network issues. If the problem is with the network, then you can check out my article on – Fix mobile network not available. Or, you can try reset network settings, if clear app data isn’t able to solve the problem.
– Open Settings App then Tap on Backup & Reset.
– Here you will get the option to reset device and network. Tap on “Network settings reset” > Reset Settings.
Resetting network will take few minutes. When reset get completed, you can open phone App. And hopefully, you will not get any error. But still, if “com android phone has stopped working” error appears, then you can try out next Solution.
Solution: 4 Install new Custom ROM.
If you have installed any custom ROM, which isn’t stable and in the beta testing state. Then, unfortunately, the process “com.android.phone” has stopped error is normal. You can do two things If the problem is with newly installed Custom ROM. –
- First, boot into custom/stock recovery and then clear system cache. (Don’t clear data)
- And, if by clearing system data not able to solve your problem, then flash other Custom ROM.
Solution: 5 Uninstall themes & third party Apps.
If you haven’t installed any ROM or not updated your device. Then maybe the error is occurring due to third-party app or theme installed.
– If you’re using “substratum theme engine” to theme your android device. Then due to some bad overlays, this error is coming. So, to fix this problem uninstall complete theme. (Maybe installed theme isn’t compatible with your device)
– Another similar reason behind this error could be – recently installed the third-party app, which is related to phone App. For example – Truecaller App.
These apps try to replace your default phone and messaging app, And in the process default app get stopped working. So, by uninstalling these apps, and by clearing phone app data and cache, you can Fix the error.
Solution: 6 Wipe Cache Partition from Stock Recovery.
This is the universal solution to fix Apps, which Apps are misbehaving and giving errors. If you don’t know which app is the cause of “com.android.phone has stopped” error. Then you clear all apps data or can “clear cache partition” to fix the error.
6.1 Delete all Cached Data.
Open Settings App on your Android device > then open “Storage & memory”. Scroll down a little bit and you”ll get “Cached data” option with data information. Tap on Cached data, and then tap on “OK” to clear all cached data of Apps.
6.2 Use Stock Recovery to wipe cache.
This method is different for different devices, so search on internet about your smartphone, before doing anything.
Note: Create the backup of your important data, before trying out this method. There are other ways also available to boot into stock recovery, you can Search.
– Turn off your smartphone.
– Open bootloader screen by holding specific combination keys. (Search on internet)
– In bootloader screen, the touch screen might not work. So use volume up and down keys, to move to the recovery option. And use the power button to select recovery option.
– In stock recovery > Go to “wipe cache partition” and use the power button to select the option.
– After clearing all cache data reboot your device.
Solution: 7 Factory data reset.
If nothing seems working, and error still coming then this is the final and working solution. And, if the problem started suddenly, and after applying all above method nothing happens. Then simply create a backup of your smartphone and then reset your device. Factory reset option will erase all your download application and system data.
– To factory reset any Android smartphone – Open settings App > Backup & reset > Factory data reset > reset phone.
Note: Don’t forget, to create a backup of your all Important data. Though, you can disable “erase internal storage” option, before resetting the device.
Conclusion – com.android.phone has stopped.
These are the solutions to fix this error, though you don’t need to try all solutions. Because clearing app or system data will solve the error. But if this solution doesn’t solve this error then you can try all solutions. And, if you ever before faced this error, and you think you know a better solution. then you can comment.