Recently, I have encountered another DNS issue while browsing sites in Google Chrome. Maybe, you also facing the same “DNS address could not be found” error. This error prevents users to access some websites. Although, you don’t need to worry about it. It’s a common DNS error, which can be resolved easily. And, in this article, you will get to know about all possible solutions to fix this error.
What is DNS?.
Simple Explanation. Domain Name System is known as DNS. We use Domain name to access websites on the internet. Like you’re accessing this blog with www(dot)BounceGeek(dot)com domain name. And, when you enter the domain name in Web Browser. Web Browser uses linked IP address to that domain. To open that particular site and internet resources. And, Domain Name System(DNS) works as intermediator to translate Domain Name to IP Address.
What is “DNS address could not be found” Error?.
Ok, now maybe, you already understood about this error, after reading about DNS. As I mentioned, DNS address is used to resolve Domain Name to IP Address. This error can occur due to the misconfigured DNS Settings or DNS server down problem. Also, it could possible that some chrome extensions or add-ons are preventing DNS to work.
Or, if the local cache is returning old IP address. And, IP address got changed on the server level. Overall, there are multiple causes behind this error. So, I am going to provide you, multiple solutions. You have to try all these mentioned solutions one by one. And, when the error will get resolved, you can stop trying next solution.
- 1 Server DNS Address Could Not Be Found – Solutions.
- 1.1 Solution: 1 Ping Domain and extract IP Address.
- 1.2 Solution: 2 Delete files from the etc folder.
- 1.3 Solution: 3 Delete Chrome host cache.
- 1.4 Solution: 4 Reset Chrome Browser Settings.
- 1.5 Solution: 5 Restart DNS Client Service.
- 1.6 Solution: 6 Flush DNS and Renew IP.
- 1.7 Solution: 7 Reset Network Settings.
- 1.8 Solution: 8 Change DNS Server Settings.
- 1.9 Solution: 9 For Android Users.
Server DNS Address Could Not Be Found – Solutions.
Solution: 1 Ping Domain and extract IP Address.
If local cache is returning old IP address. Or, any specific site is showing this error. Then, in that case, you can resolve Domain Name into IP Address using CMD. Well, this should be done by DNS. But, if DNS could not be found, then you can do it yourself. Though, it’s a temporary solution. After resolving the domain name, you can open the website using the site’s IP address.
- Press Windows + R key simultaneously to open Run Window.
- Type CMD in run window and then press enter to open Command Prompt.
- Now type ping then press space and then type the domain name. That’s it. now press enter. (Check Screenshot to understand better.)
- Within a few second, CMD will show you, the IP address of that specific domain.
- Copy that IP address and paste it into your browser to open Website.
Solution: 2 Delete files from the etc folder.
I found this solution from a Windows forum. And, many users able to solve this error with it. Etc folder contains hosts, networks, protocol, and services file. Deleting these files will not cause any other error. Personally, I have tried, so, you can also.
- Here is the directory of the etc folder.
Open the etc folder, and then select all files and then delete. Make sure you are logged in from the administrator account. Else, you will not able to delete these files.
Solution: 3 Delete Chrome host cache.
Chrome host cache can store up to 100 domain details. And, if Chrome host cache is full or corrupted due to some extensions. Then, the error like “DNS address could not be found” occurs. This is the easiest solution to try and it works always. Though, this solution is specific for chrome browser. Will does not work in any other browser.
- Open this URL in Chrome Browser.
- After that, you will able to see “Chrome host cache” option. Click on it, and it will clear host cache immediately.
Now, check problem is resolved or not. If not then try the next solution.
Solution: 4 Reset Chrome Browser Settings.
If your internet connection was working fine, and the problem started all of the sudden. Then, maybe the issue is with the browser. As I mentioned before, extensions also can be the reason behind “DNS Address Could Not Be Found” error. So, before resetting the Chrome browser, you can uninstall all extensions.
- Open the following URL in the Chrome browser.
- Now, use the remove option to uninstall all extensions one after one.
- If after uninstalling extensions, the problem still exists. Then, you can reset the Chrome Browser.
Open, chrome://settings/ in browser.
- Scroll down a little and click on the “Advanced” option.
- At the end of the Chrome Settings page, you can find out “Reset and Clean up” option.
- Click on “Restore Settings to their original defaults”. Then, Click on “Reset Settings” to start the process.
Note: Make sure you’re using the latest version of Chrome. Else this option will not appear in your Chrome Settings Page.
Solution: 5 Restart DNS Client Service.
DNS Client service does caches Domain Name, and, register the full Computer Name. And, if this service is stopped. Then, all other services that depend on it will fail to start. Though, still, the domain resolving process will stay continue. So, I suggest you restart this service once to fix this issue. And, if you’re unable to restart then you can try next solution.
- Press Windows + R key simultaneously to open run window.
- Type services.msc and press enter.
In the services window, look for “DNS Client”. Click on it and then click on restart button.
Alternatively, you can right click on it to restart. Hopefully, this solution will fix “DNS server could not be found” error.
Solution: 6 Flush DNS and Renew IP.
Apart from the DNS issue, some users are facing “server IP address could not be found” error. Though, this solution will fix both problems. I have already mentioned this solution, in my “DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN” article. You can check out the third solution of that article.
Open the command prompt to give following commands. Or, you can use Windows Powershell. (Right Click on Start button of Windows 10, then click on “Windows PowerShell(Admin).)
Release and Renew IP.
- First, type ipconfig/release command, and press enter.
- After that, type ipconfig/renew command, and press enter.
- To flush DNS, type ipconfig/flushdns in CMD or Windows PowerShell, and press enter.
- That’s it. You have successfully flushed DNS Resolver Cache.
Solution: 7 Reset Network Settings.
Although, the above solution will fix the “DNS Address Could Not Be Found” problem. But, still, the error is coming then you can try to reset network settings. This option is currently available in Windows 10 Only. So, if you’re using an older version of Windows, then you can skip this solution.
- Press Windows + I key simultaneously to open Settings App in Windows 10.
- Click on “Network & Internet”, after that, scroll down a little.
- Now, you can find out “Network Reset” option. Click on it, then click on “Reset now”.
Note: If you’re connected to WiFi network, then the password will get removed.
Solution: 8 Change DNS Server Settings.
As the error indicates that, DNS Address is missing. So, you can fix this error immediately after adding new DNS Server details. There is many open DNS Server available. But, I suggest you use only Google Public DNS. It will speed up your browsing experience. Also, “Server DNS Address Could Not Be Found” error will get resolved.
1. First, Open Control Panel, now, go to Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center.
2. In Network and Sharing center, you will able to see all active internet connection.
- Click on your internet connection. (I am using WiFi network.)
3. WiFi/network status window will get open. Click on the properties button.
4. In WiFi Properties Window, Click on “Internet Protocol Version 4(TCP/IPv4). Then, click on Properties of it.
5. To enter Google DNS details, click on “Use the following DNS server address”.
- Enter the following details and click on OK.
Preferred DNS Server: 188.8.131.52
Alternate DNS Server: 184.108.40.206
Though, IPv4 DNS Server details will solve this error. But, still, you can try adding IPv6 details to fix this error.
6. Select “Internet Protocol Version 6” from same WiFi/Network Properties Window. And, click on Properties.
7. Now, choose “Use the following DNS Server Details” option and enter the following details.
Preferred DNS Server: 2001:4860:4860:0:0:0:0:8888
Alternate DNS Server: 2001:4860:4860:0:0:0:0:8844
Click on OK. That’s it. Now, “DNS server cannot be found” error will get permanently solved.
Solution: 9 For Android Users.
If “DNS address could not be found” error coming in Android Device. Then, you can fix this error by using an App.
- Download DNS Changer App from Play Store.
- Open App, choose “Google” as a DNS Provider.
- Click on Start Button.
That’s it. Now, open any Website, you will not receive any error. But, you need to stay open App in the background. Because App makes temporary changes.
Hopefully, these working solutions will fix your any kind of DNS related problem. But, if still, you are facing an error. Or, you know a better solution. Then feel free to Comment.