When you’re in the middle of some important work, and the internet keeps disconnecting. Then, It’s annoying. If you’re also getting frustrated, due to this problem, then read this article.
Many Windows 8.1 and 10 users are complaining that their WiFi randomly disconnects. And, after few seconds or minutes, it automatically gets connected. Well, there isn’t any specific reason behind this WiFi issue. This problem can occur due to multiple reasons. That’s why I am gonna mention multiple solutions in this article.
IMPORTANT – Some solution to fix this problem, I have already mentioned in my previous article. So, you can also read this article – Fix WiFi connected but no internet access.
- 1 Solutions to Fix WiFi or Internet keeps disconnecting.
Solutions to Fix WiFi or Internet keeps disconnecting.
Solution: 1 Disable WiFi Sense.
Note: Unfortunately, In the latest version of Windows 10. Microsoft removed “manage WiFi settings” option. That’s why we can’t access WiFi sense. So, if you’re on latest version Windows, then try next solution.
What is WiFi Sense?.
In Simple Words, WiFi Sense is the new auto WiFi connect technology. Which is designed to stay connected to powerful WiFi Connection. Means, if your WiFi signal is weak, and there is another open WiFi. Then, your internet will get disconnected and, WiFi will try to connect to that network. It allows Windows users to connect to suggested open hotspots. And, this feature is the main culprit behind “WiFi keeps disconnecting” problem.
Disable WiFi Sense.
1. To Disable WiFi sense in Windows 10 press “Windows + I” hotkey to open Settings App.
2. Click on “Network and Internet”. Then from left pane click on WiFi.
3. In WiFi settings, click on “Manage WiFi settings” to access “WiFi sense”.
4. Here you need to disable two options.
- Connect to suggested open hotspots.
- Connect to the network shared by my contacts.
After turning off both these options, restart your PC or laptop once. And, hopefully, “Internet keeps disconnecting” problem gets resolved.
Solution: 2 Fix Power management issue.
If your laptop keeps disconnecting from WiFi, then it could be the power issue. In Windows 8, Microsoft has introduced a power management feature for WiFi. This feature automatically disables WiFi when you’re on battery saver mode. Or less power coming through the battery or power cable. So, I suggest you disable that feature and hopefully, the problem will get resolved.
1. Press Windows + R key, and type devmgmt.msc in run Window, and then press enter. (Device Manager will get open)
2. In device manager expand “Network Adapters”. Then, right click on Wi-Fi adaptor, then click on properties.
3. In properties, click on Power Management. And then unmark “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power”. Click on ok.
Solution: 3 Set Maximum Performance for Wireless Adaptor.
This solution also part of power management issue. If in your advanced power settings, power saving is on for wireless adaptor. Then, also “Internet keeps disconnecting” problem occurs. You need to set it to maximum performance, to fix this problem.
1. To do that, first open settings App in Windows 10. (Press Windows + I)
2. Go to system > Power & sleep > Additional Power Settings.
Alternatively, you can go Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options.
3. Click on change plan settings > Change Advanced Plan Settings.
4. First, expand “Wireless Adaptor Settings”. After that expand “Power Saving Mode”.
Now, you”ll get two options, set both options on “maximum performance”. And, then click on ok.
- On Battery: Maximum Performance
- Plugged in: Maximum Performance
Solution: 4 Set Home Network to Private.
It is the simplest solution that you will try, but it’s effective. If you’re using WiFi, which is set to the public connection. Then chances are high that, WiFi connection will drop randomly. To fix this problem, you need to set your active WiFi connection to Private.
1. Click on WiFi Icon, then click on connected WiFi Connection.
2. Now, you will get “Properties” option click on it. In WiFi properties, Under network profile, you may find two option. Public and Private. Select radio button of the Private option.
After that restart your Computer once, and issue will get resolved. You can also verify network settings. Right Click on WiFi icon and then click on “Open Network & Internet Settings”. Under “network status”, now you can see the type of it.
Solution: 5 Update Wi-Fi Adaptor Driver.
Drivers are the important part of Windows, drivers help devices to communicate. And, if WiFi driver software is faulty or outdated. Then it could be possible that problem like “Internet keeps disconnecting” occurs. To update WiFi adaptor driver, follow these steps.
1. Open Device Manager, Press Windows + X key and then click on device manager.
2. In device manager expand network adaptors. Now, select Realtek WiFi Adaptor and right click on it, then click on “Update Driver”.
3. If you have the driver file, then you can use “Browse my computer for driver software” option. And, if not then you can use “Search automatically for driver software” option.
If device manager is unable to find out latest driver software. Then go to manufacturer site, and you can download the installer of driver software. Alternatively, you can try some third party driver scanner or updater software.
Solution: 6 Set startup type automatic for WLAN AutoConfig.
Services are also an important part of Windows OS. And, if due to some unwanted changes, “WiFi auto config” service is stopped. Then, you need to start it. This solution is suggested by a Windows user, and his problem got resolved with it. So, I suggest you try this solution.
1. Press Windows + R key, in run window type “Services.msc” and press enter.
2. In services window, find out “WLAN AutoConfig” and then click on it to highlight it.
3. After that right click on it, then click on properties.
- In properties Window, set startup type to automatic, and click on OK. Also, if this service is stopped, then click on start button.
That’s it. Some solutions, I have already mentioned in another related article. So, writing the same thing again is not the good idea. You can find the link to that article in the third paragraph. If after trying out these solutions, the problem remains same. Then, feel free to comment, I will try to help you.