In Android and iOS, Lots of video streaming Apps started supporting Picture-in-Picture mode. But, when it comes to Windows, only Groove Music and Films & TV apps do support PiP mode. You can activate PiP mode by clicking on the “Play in mini view” option. But not everyone prefers using these two Apps for media consumption. That’s why, In this article, you will get to know, how you can run any App in the Picture-in-Picture mode on Windows 10.
What is Picture-in-Picture in Windows 10, and how it’s useful?.
PiP is basically a multi-Window mode, especially used for video playback. It lets the user watch the video in a smaller floating Window while browsing or navigating content on other Apps.
So, If you like to watch a video while focusing on other work in the foreground. Then, the Picture-in-Picture mode will be useful for you. Means, you no longer have to use split-screen.
Activate Picture-in-Picture Mode in Windows 10.
Official PiP Mode in Chrome Browser.
In Chrome 70, Google has added a built-in PiP feature. That works perfectly fine on YouTube. You just have to install the latest version of Chrome Web Browser. PiP in Chrome works for most of the Websites like YouTube. But, it doesn’t work in other sites like Dailymotion, Prime Video and Netflix.
To access PiP mode on YouTube. Play any YouTube video in Chrome Browser.
Now, Right-Click two times on the Video. And, you will able to see the “Picture in picture” option. Click on it.
Note: To PiP mode to get work on any site, video content must be delivered via HTML5.
Picture-in-Picture Extension by Google.
If in Chrome, you want to use PiP mode apart from YouTube. Then, you have to install Extension. The extension will lets you watch videos in a floating window from any site.
1. First, go to Picture-in-Picture Extension (by Google) chrome extension webpage.
Click on Add to Chrome > Add extension.
2. This extension does works on a website that has videos from Facebook and YouTube. The extension is working on Prime Video. So, it might work in almost every site.
3. Play the video that you want to play in the mini player. Now, activate Picture in Picture on Chrome by pressing these key combinations.
Windows – Alt + P
macOS – ⌥ + P
Alternatively, by clicking on the Picture-in-picture extension icon you can activate PiP. Once, it gets activated, the main video will goes black. And, the video will start getting play in a small floating window. You can also resize the window of the mini player.
Note: PiP works with one video at a time. Means, if a video already playing in a floating window. And, if you try to play another video, then it will replace the first one.
PiP-Tool (Picture In Picture tool) Windows 10.
As I mentioned, In Windows 10, only two default Apps does support PiP mode. But, with the PiP tool, you can use the Picture in Picture mode on any Windows 10 App or software. This tool will allow you to watch content from any software in mini Window format on the screen.
And, you can continue using any other software with that mini Window. PiP tool allows selecting the area of App, that you want to view in PiP mode. Because of machine learning, the PiP tool can predict selected regions.
Prerequisite for the PiP tool.
- Microsoft .NET Framework Version 4.7.
- Windows Vista or Higher. (64-bit.)
1. Download the latest version of PiP-Tool from Github. And, Install it like you install any other Windows software.
2. PiP tool shortcut will get created on the desktop. Right-click on it and run it as administrator.
3. Now, you will able to see PiP-Tool’s bar at the top of the Windows screen. Click on the drop-down menu, and select the App that you want to open in PiP mode. (Here only all pre-open Apps will appear.)
4. Once you select the App, you will get the option to select the screen area. That you want to capture in Picture-in-Picture Windows 10.
5. After selecting the area, click on the tick mark in the PiP tool. And, you will successfully get enter into PiP mode.
I have tried this tool with VLC Player and it was working absolutely fine. This tool doesn’t blackout content from the main screen. It just shows a mirror version in PiP mode. And, you can’t resize mini Window.
So, these are the methods to achieve Picture in Picture mode in Windows. If you want PiP in Chrome, you can use the inbuilt feature. But, it will work only for YouTube. For other sites, you have to install the extension. And, if you want to run any Windows software in PiP mode then, the PiP tool is the best way. If you know any other better method, feel free to comment.